As you grow old, you have to switch over to a high-quality shaver or electric razor because your skin will start to get sensitive and soft.
The best electric razor for elderly men would be the one that can cut through your thick facial hair and provide you with a close shave while being gentle on your skin.
There are many electric razors out there that claim to be ideal for elderly men, but we found that the best electric razor to buy is the Braun’s Series 7. It is a top-rated electric shaver that was designed for seniors and is safe to use even if you have loose skin.
After taking factors such as durability, performance, simplicity and price into consideration, we were able to draw up the following list of the top 7 best electric razors for elderly men.
- Braun Electric Razor for Men Series 7 790cc
- Panasonic Arc5 Electric Razor
- Philips Norelco Shaver 4500
- Braun Electric Razor for Men Series 9 9370cc
- Andis 17150 Pro
- Wahl Professional 5-Star Series Rechargeable Shaver
- Braun Series 3 3040s Electric Shaver
Table of Contents
Best Electric Razor for Elderly Men
Braun Electric Razor for Men Series 7 790cc
The Braun Series 7 is the best professional electric razor for elderly men that we’ve had the chance to test. It is also one of the most popular razors on the market and considering that it has been flying off the shelves since then, it’s something we couldn’t ignore and had to give it a try.
It’s an intelligent razor that uses Braun’s signature Sonic Technology which allows the trimmer to change the power automatically by gauging how thick the hair is. This feature lets you have a close shave without any nicks and cuts.
Not only does the Braun Series 7 have a flexible shaving head that’s ideal for older men, but it’s designed to shave around the contours of your skin, thereby giving you a clean and safe shave.
The trimmer head of the Series 7 can move in 8 directions allowing you to trim hair in hard to reach areas of your face, neck and even your nose. The one thing that i like about the Braun Series 7 is t hat it’s powered by a rechargeable Li-ion battery that can run for a period of 50 minutes to an hour even while using i on its fastest mode.
One drawback of the Series 7 is that the pop-up razor is not at the front of the device and this makes it rather difficult to reach areas like your sideburns and upper lip.
|5 Turbo/Sensitive Modes
|30,000 Cross-Cutting Actions per Minute
- Comes with a built-in sensor that manages the power supply
- Long lasting 50 minute battery
- Super ergonomic design and easy to use
- Travel friendly
- Blades are self cleaning
- Position of the pop up trimmer needs to be worked on
- Not built for wet/dry shaving
Panasonic Arc5 Electric Razor
The Arc5 from Panasonic is an extremely precise trimmer/razor that is quite easy to handle. It comes equipped with a powerful motor, a good battery and high-quality blades that can cut through your hair effortlessly.
I’d recommend this electric razor for many reasons, but the one that stands out i think will be the fact that it comes with a multi-flex pivoting head allowing you to shave along the contour of your face. This makes it easier to use on loose skin and with adjustable speeds, you can set it according to your liking.
The 5-blade system uses hypoallergenic blades and this prevents older men from getting infected if they happen to nick themselves.
It follows a 5-blade system and can be used either when your face is wet or dry. The high performance motor is capable of delivering 70,000 cross cuts per minute and with the pop-up detail trimmer that’s built-in to the device, you can even trim your mustache, sideburns and beard at one go.
However, though the Arc5 razor is an amazing one and can deliver the closest shave around, it’s not as comfortable to use and that’s why according to me, the Braun Series 7 is currently the best electric razor for elderly men.
|70,000 Cross-Cutting Actions per Minute
- Ergonomic build and design
- Comes equipped with hypoallergenic nanotech blades and a high performance linear motor
- Kit includes detergent for the blades and a charging dock
- Battery does not perform as well as the Braun
- Not ideal for elderly men who have sensitive skin
Philips Norelco Shaver 4500
We’ve covered the Philips Norelco 7000 earlier in our review for the best goatee trimmer, now we’re going to talk a little bit about the Norelco Shaver 4500. This is another fine product from Philip’s Norelco range that’s equipped with numerous features making it one of the best electric razors on the market.
This particular model even uses Philip’s patented Lift and Cut dual-blade technology that basically lifts your hair as it cuts through protecting your skin from any razor burns or nicks. This is perfect especially for elderly men because their skin tends to get loose and could get snagged in the blades.
Ideally, electric razors are meant to be waterproof and Philips nailed it with this design making it perfect to use even when having a shower. It’s powered by a long lasting Li-ion battery that has the juice to provide you with a complete shave/trim before getting drained.
|DualPrecision Pivoting Heads
- Equipped with V-track precision blades
- Has a large battery
- Head is flexible
- Comes with a cleaning kit and a charging dock
- There’s a small pop-up trimmer
- Lacks a shaving sensor
Braun Electric Razor for Men Series 9 9370cc
The Braun Series 9 is by fat the most efficient electric razor in the market that delivers a great shaving experience by cutting as much hair as possible in a single stroke.
This German brand has been manufacturing high-end shavers, razors and trimmers that come equipped with advanced technology and the Series 9 is no different. This beast uses an AutoSensing motor and runs on SyncroSonic technology that lets you trim your hair easily.
It’s powered by an impressive battery that takes roughly an hour to fully charge and thanks to the flexible shaving head, the trimmer is able to successfully map the contours of your face and deliver a clean shave every time.
This is one of Braun’s top products so don’t expect it to be cheap and affordable. It’s something that will not disappoint you and has been designed for older men, so if you have the money to shell out, don’t hesitate with this model.
|5 Shaving Elements; 2 Specialized Trimmers
|Intelligent Sonic and AutoSense Technology
- Body has a rubber grip along the sides for added support and grip
- Equipped with 2 cutter foils and an ergonomic 10D pivot head
- There’s a built-in shaving sensor
- Kit includes accessories and a charging dock
- A little too expensive
Andis 17150 Pro
The next one on this list is a professional-grade shaver that’s designed for elderly men and those looking for a close shave. The Andis 17150 Pro is one of the lightest and affordable electric razors in the market today and is currently one of Amazon’s best selling products.
It’s powered by a high-performance motor that has been coupled with a rechargeable Li-ion battery to deliver an impressive 80 minutes of shaving time on a single charge. The motor is silent and wouldn’t cause a disturbance to anyone around you.
The blades on the 17150 Pro are made of titanium foil that allow for a close shave and what’s great about this electric razor is that it can be used corded or cordless, thus providing you with the option of whether to use it while traveling or at home.
|Staggered Head Shaving Blades
- Long lasting battery
- Cheap and affordable razor
- Great to create fades and other styles
- Lightweight and compact
- Only meant for dry skin and can’t be used with shaving cream or foam
- Quite loud
- Not ideal for long beards and mustaches
Wahl Professional 5-Star Series Rechargeable Shaver
The last one on this list is the Wahl Professional 5-Star series rechargeable shaver. This is one of the best trimmers for elderly men today and is widely regarded as the best trimmer to use on sensitive skin mainly because of the hypoallergenic gold foil blades.
It delivers a remarkably close-cut trim and does not cause any skin irritation. This model in the 5-Star series from Wahl is powered by a whisper quiet motor and is compact making shaving and trimming your beard an effortless task.
The razor is powered by a rechargeable Ni-CAD battery that delivers around 60 minutes of run time per charge and along with this product you will also receive a foil guard, charging adapter, cleaning brush and a user manual.
|Staggered Rolling Blades with Hypoallergenic Gold Foil
- Extremely lightweight with an ergonomic design
- Can be used corded and cordless
- Equipped with hypoallergenic foil blades
- Slightly more expensive than others with the same capabilities
- Cord is rather short
- Quite noisy
Braun Series 3 3040s Electric Shaver
As an elderly man, it’s quite possible that you’ve spent a bomb over your life buying different razors and shavers to get that clean look. But it’s time you opt for something that’s a little cheaper, yet gets the job done.
The Braun Series 3 3040s is a triple cutting razor that has a multi-directional head which can cut a lot in a single go. It’s equipped with a micro comb that helps gather hair close together for an easier and quick shave.
Unlike the Braun Series 9 and 7, this model does not come with a cleaning station, but it does have a pop-up trimmer that works wonders on long and coarse hair. With an ergonomic design, a rubber grip on the sides and quick charge capabilities, the Braun Series 3 is a must have for elderly men who shave on-the-go.
|2x SensoFoil shaving elements with a micro comb
|Flexi flow motor
- Cost effective
- Uses micro comb technology
- Equipped with triple action cutting elements
- Supports quick charge
- Cordless shaving only
- Pop-up trimmer is flimsy
- Quite noisy
How to Choose the Right Electric Razor for Elderly Men?
Elderly men have sensitive skin that tends to be loose and if you end up using the wrong razor, there are chances of you cutting yourself.
Here are things to look for in an electric razor especially if you’re an elderly man.
- Blades – You need to pick an electric razor that is equipped with sharp and durable blades, preferably a set that comes with self-sharpening blades. Make sure these blades are made of stainless steel and come with rounded tips to avoid and unpleasant feeling and the possibility of skin irritation.
- Motor – Another point to consider will be a powerful motor. It’s useless buying a razor with sharp blades but lacks the performance to cut your facial hair. A high-performance motor will drive more power to your blades allowing them to work seamlessly without getting stuck or snagging on your hair.
- Battery Life – The battery life of the electric razor is definitely one important point to consider especially if you’re looking to buy a cordless one. high-performance electric razors are normally equipped with a rechargeable Li-ion battery that delivers a clean shave every time. Some razors even come with an indicator that lets you know how much battery life is remaining in the device and when to charge it.
- Adjustable Settings – Since there are going to be changes in our skin as we grow older, electric razors for sensitive skin are perfect to buy. Pick a razor that comes with adjustable settings for sensitive skin so that it can deliver a clean shave even in difficult to reach areas.
- Price – This is another important point to consider especially when picking an electric razor for elderly men. Razors are available in every range of pricing imaginable and it would solely depend on how much you’re willing to spend. Always pick the right one that fits your budget or visit your barber to have the job done.
Tips to follow while shaving for older men
Now i’ve come to realize that not all men have the same type of skin and the older you get, the more your skin can sag thereby giving you that wrinkly loose look.
So while shaving or while using an electric razor there are some things you need to incorporate in your regimen so you end up with a smooth and clean shave.
To achieve the best look, try these steps while shaving;
- Step 1 – Exfoliate and prepare your skin –
- The first thing you need to do is exfoliate your skin and get rid of dead skin cells. This is important because these tiny dead skin cells can collect and clog the razor.
- Exfoliating your face will also keep your skin free from irritation. While exfoliating your skin, i’d recommend that you use warm water to soften your skin and open the pores.
- Doing this will also help extract any dust or dirt that’s clogging your pores and your skin will breath easily.
- Step 2 – Use a good shaving cream or oil on your face –
- It’s important that you use a good shaving cream or oil to keep your skin lubricated when you shave. The older and softer the skin is the more prone it is to razor burns and irritations.
- Shaving creams and oils will help keep the skin soft enough and provide a closer shave especially if you’re an older man with wrinkled or loose skin.
- Step 3 – Use a singular pattern while shaving your beard –
- While shaving in your younger years, you might have experimented with different strokes or shaving against the grain. However, as you grow older this gets harder to achieve and because your skin is dry and loose, the chances of nicking yourself or getting razor burns doubles.
- Stick to shaving in a single direction along with the flow of the hair to minimize damage to your skin and avoid achieving a perfect shave as it may not be possible for you to achieve.
- Step 4 – Wash up well post your shave –
- Once you’re done shaving, make sure to use cold water to wash away any excess hair that’s on your skin. Avoid using warm water as you need your pores to close and the only solution I have is to use Luke warm – cold water as this will help your skin contract and close your pores, preventing dust or dirt from clogging them.
- Make sure to also use a cleansing brush or an antiseptic shaving lotion/balm on your face after you’re done. This will help heal any razor burns or nicks you’ve made while using the electric razor and prevent an infection from building up.
- Finally, clean your razor thoroughly and make sure there’s no lose strands of hair or dead skin cells caught in the blades. This step will keep the razor ready for the next shave and by cleaning out the blades or foil you’re preventing bacterial build up and your future shaves will be irritation free.
How do you disinfect an electric razor?
Disinfecting an electric razor is easy and the entire procedure won’t take more than a couple of minutes to complete. It’s important that you disinfect your razor as it can lead to unwanted skin complications every time you use it.
Here’s a few steps I follow while disinfecting my electric razor at home, you can follow these steps and rest assured that once you’re done, your razor will be as good as new.
- Start by removing the blades/foil from the razor and then proceed to use the tiny brush to clean off the hair that’s caught in between the blades.
- Rinse the blades in warm water and use a safe soap
- Attach the blades back to the electric razor and turn it on so the blades clean themselves.
- Some electric razors will come with blade oil that you can apply instead of soap. This oil is designed to keep the blades sharp and clean.
- Now, add a disinfectant (70% isopropyl acohol) to the blades and let it dry on its own.
- Finally, wipe down the blades with a soft microfiber cloth if you want, or you can choose to leave the razor aside and let it dry on its own.
- Best Beard Growth Kits | For a Fuller, Thicker & Healthier Beard
- Best Beard Grooming Kit for African American Men
- Best Shaving Cream for Wet Electric Shaver
Darnell Jackson is a grooming enthusiast. He was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, and has always been passionate about men’s fashion and grooming. Darbell started his career as a freelance writer, contributing to various men’s lifestyle magazines and blogs. He has since become a published author, with his book “The Art of Man Grooming” receiving critical acclaim.