A bald head requires the same amount of attention and maintenance as when you had hair. Not only because your scalp can get dry, but also for the simple fact that shampoos can help get rid of accumulated dirt on your scalp and will reduce the formation of dandruff.
The thing with a bald head is that you can’t use any and every type of shampoo and would require specially formulated products that are meant for bald men.
There are a lot of products in the market that claim to be naturally formulated and safe to use on a bald head. But there are only a handful of these products that do a great job of protecting your scalp.
Our team here has tried and tested over 50 different shampoos for bald heads and have found these 8 to be exceptionally effective at keeping your scalp moisturized and soft.
Here are the top 8 Best Shampoo for Bald Heads.
- Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo
- C3 Head Wash Fragrance-Free Cleanser
- Jack Black All-Over Wash
- Cantu Shea Butter 3-in-1 Shampoo Conditioner & Body Wash
- Bee Bald Clean Head & Face Daily Cleanser
- OGX Tea Tree Mint Bald Head Shampoo
- Aveeno Moisture Balancing Bald Head Shampoo
- Sachajuan Anti-Dandruff Scalp Shampoo
Here’s how we tested theses shampoos for men with bald heads
Each and every product listed above have been tested be my team and I over a period of 1 week where we applied the shampoos and checked for certain parameters.
After trying them out we shortlisted these 8 for being super effective at controlling dandruff, moisturizing the scalp and leaving it feeling fresh.
Here’s what we looked at;
- First we took the hydrating factor into consideration and made sure that the right pH levels were maintained and there was no excess oil/sebum production post using the shampoo.
- Next we considered the effect of the shampoo on dry scalps and if it helped remove the dryness and get rid of dandruff. While not all shampoos are designed for dry skin, there are some that worked really well and have been shortlisted among these 8 shampoos.
- Apart from this we also considered how nourishing and fresh our scalp felt post using each shampoo. Again, not all of them will leave you feeling refreshed or nourished, but there are a few that did a phenomenal job and are currently among the top 8 best shampoos for bald men.
Table of Contents
Best Shampoo for Bald Head – Buyer’s Guide
If you’re wondering how to pick the best shampoo to use on your bald head, there are certain factors and things to take into consideration before buying a shampoo.
These points will help you decide on a particular type of shampoo to use on your scalp.
- Ingredients – Your scalp tends to become extra sensitive once you shave your head and this can prove to be a problem for most especially if you have sensitive skin. You will need to choose ingredients that do not harm your head and will ensure your scalp is left protected from external conditions and harmful rays of the sun.
- Should not lather too much – Another key point to consider is the amount the shampoo lathers on your scalp. Since you don’t have hair anymore, you will need to select a product that moisturizes more than it can lather. This is because when you use a lathering shampoo on your bald head chances are that some residue may be left behind and will lead to dandruff formation or dryness.
- Should nourish your scalp – You will also need to ensure that the shampoo you’re going to buy will keep your scalp moisturized and hydrated. Nourishing ingredients such as natural oils or aloe vera, tea tree oil or even jojoba and goji berry are important for your skin and i’d recommend buying a shampoo for your bald head that has some of these ingredients.
Top 8 Best Shampoo for Bald Head
Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo
Rating – 5/5
Dry scalp is a common problem faced by bald men and there’s nothing better to tackle dandruff other than a good therapeutic shampoo. Neutrogena has this amazing therapeutic shampoo called the T/Gel which is the first line of defense against dryness and dandruff.
Their shampoo is slightly expensive, but it’s super effective and can get rid of dryness and dandruff effectively. It’s pretty popular among older men who are dealing with dermatitis and experience redness or itchiness while using other shampoos.
What I liked about the T/Gel shampoo is that it’s formulated with coal tar extract that’s been known to offer a long lasting effect and will work on your scalp even after the shampoo has been washed off.
Compared to the other shampoos on this list, the T/Gel works wonders and it’s made to be used daily. However, the scent can be a bit too overpowering and for that i’d suggest that you use it not more than 2-3 times a week.
- Coal Tar extract
- Aloe Vera
- Fast acting formula
- Results are evident within a week of using it
- Helps with multiple scalp and skin conditions
- Known to reduce itchiness and flaking of skin
- Fragrance is neutral
C3 Head Wash Fragrance-Free Cleanser
Rating – 5/5
Brands like Dove can be a bit harsh for bald heads because of the chemicals in the formula. This is one reason why I don’t recommend using regular Dove soaps or shampoo on your bald head and to stick with something that’s made purely from organic compounds.
Now one thing i’d like to clear up, this is not a shampoo per-se, but more like a foaming wash that’s designed specifically for men who are either bald or have a buzzed haircut.
The formula is quite nice and limits the blocking of pores as well as it helps keep the head feeling hydrated and fresh. It’s one of my all time favorite cleaners and ever since I started using the C3 cleanser, i’ve never had dry of flaky skin and my head was left shiny post every application.
- Purified Water
- Myristamidopropyl PG-Dimonium
- Chloride Phosphate
- Free from sulfates and parabens
- pH balanced and vegan formula
- Does not contain any artificial fragrances
- No drawbacks
Jack Black All-Over Wash
Rating – 4.5/5
The Jack Black all-over wash is a multi-purpose body, face and head wash solution that has been formulated from natural ingredients to ensure your scalp and head are left moisturized and soft. It’s perfect for men with sensitive skin and acts as a cleanser for your bald head by removing any dirty or harmful particles.
It has been formulated to be non-sticky and does not leave behind any residue. Each session with the Jack Black all-over wash will keep your scalp hydrated and since it has been formulated with Jojoba and Sea Kelp, this shampoo will help reduce any inflammation.
While this product is considered to be a shampoo it does not lather like one. Instead it cleanses your bald head without stripping your scalp of its natural oils. The only thing i’d point out here is that while using this shampoo/wash we found that if you do have sensitive skin, chances are you might have a rash build up on your scalp.
- Jojoba Oil
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
- Citric Acid
- Safe to use on the head, face and body
- Smells great
- pH balanced with coconut extract to exfoliate the scalp
- Known to leave the scalp dry if used in abundance
- Contains some sulfates
Cantu Shea Butter 3-in-1 Shampoo Conditioner & Body Wash
Rating – 5/5
Cantu has been one of our favorite products for quite some time and there’s no doubt that the 3-in-1 shampoo conditioner and bodywash is by far one of their best products till date. This shampoo for bald heads has not been formulated with parabens or sulfates and is brilliant for men with sensitive skin who wish to wash their head on a daily basis.
This product has been formulated with shea butter, hemp seed oil and tea tree oil to promote a healthy scalp and hair growth. It’s ideal to use as an anti-dandruff shampoo if your head is dry and will definitely moisturize and smoothen your hair if it’s coarse.
The Cantu shea butter shampoo/body wash works wonders on facial hair and is one of the best shampoo to use on your bald head. A small portion will go a long way and we found that this shampoo does not lather too much so you wouldn’t have issues with flakiness or skin irritation.
- Shea Butter
- Hemp Seed Oil
- Tea Tree Oil
- Well made 3-in-1 shampoo, conditioner and body wash
- Ideal for men who are bald or with buzzed cuts
- Keeps the scalp and body left hydrated
- Fragrance is a bit too strong
Bee Bald Clean Head & Face Daily Cleanser
Rating – 5/5
The Bee Bald Clean head and face cleanser is a part of the Bee Bald rejuvenation range of products as we’ve reviewed the moisturizer earlier. This particular cleanser is ideal to use on a bald head and does not lather like a shampoo. In fact, this product is far from being a shampoo and just regularly called a cleanser.
Each tube has been designed to clean your face and scalp by exfoliating your skin and keeping it fresh and rejuvenated. It has a nice scent to it that lingers long after your shower and you instantly feel revived and refreshed.
You’d require only a dime sized portion to successfully clean your bald head and it’s best if you rinse your head afterwards with warm water. We found that this bald head shampoo contains Green tea, Goji berry, Licorice, Durian extract, honey and Apricot seed powder
- Green Tea extract
- Goji Berry
- Aloe Vera extract
- Developed to moisturize the scalp
- Contains honey and is free of sulfates & parabens
- Designed to unclog pores
- Has a slight perfume scent
OGX Tea Tree Mint Bald Head Shampoo
Rating – 4.5/5
OGX is a well known brand that has some of the most intense and interesting shampoo and skin care products in the market. Their tea tree shampoo helps deep cleanse your scalp and will leave you feeling fresh and rejuvenated.
Each bottle of the OGX shampoo can easily remove dirt and grime from your scalp thanks to the natural ingredients used in its production.
It contains tea tree oil, witch hazel and peppermint in the formulation which are beneficial for your scalp and will keep your scalp nourished and moisturized.
It has been designed to be easy on your skin and is sulfate and paraben free so you will not experience any residue or dandruff formation on your scalp.
We found this product to be quite effective in maintaining and cleaning your scalp. Considering it’s rather affordable, it’s best to stick to using this shampoo over the others on this list.
- Tea Tree Oil
- Witch Hazel
- Free from parabens and SLS
- Leaves behind a fresh fragrance
- Ideal for bald men with greasy scalps or combination skin
- Does include some fragrance and formaldehyde
- Need to use a conditioner post the shampoo
Aveeno Moisture Balancing Bald Head Shampoo
Rating – 5/5
The Aveeno moisture balancing shampoo is a one-of-a-kind product that uses oats to help keep your scalp and head feeling refreshed and smooth.
This product is known to help balance out the moisture in your scalp and while it’s marketed for men with hair, it’s perfect to use on your scalp if you’re bald.
This formulation will help promote hair growth and has been infused with leave-in hair milk, oils and mists. There’s almond milk too in this formula that will ensure your scalp is left nourished and soft.
It does not leave behind any residue and has absolutely no sulfates, parabens or other harmful ingredients in it, so it’s safe to say that those with sensitive skin can benefit from this shampoo.
Aveeno has a range of products that are easily available on sites like Amazon. Each of these shampoos work well for sensitive skin, colored hair, thick and thin hair and even does a good enough job if you’re lacking hydration and moisture.
- Almond Milk
- Hydrolyzed Milk Protein
- Sweet Almond Milk Extract
- Safe to use on bald heads
- Can be applied daily
- Made using all natural ingredients
- Scent is a little overpowering
Sachajuan Anti-Dandruff Scalp Shampoo
Rating – 5/5
The Sachajuan scalp shampoo is ideal for men who are dealing with dandruff and dry skin on a daily basis. This blend uses ingredients like Piroctone Olamine and Climbazole which are known to soothe the scalp and keep your head feeling fresh.
It has been formulated with rosemary oil, menthol, ginger extract and salicylic acid which are known to help maintain a healthy level of moisture and can reduce any irritation you would experience from shaving.
This brand is known for its ability to easily sweep away dead skin cells and will promote hair regrowth. But the one thing we loved most about this shampoo is the fact that it’s enriched with Ocean silk technology which can rejuvenate your scalp in a gentle manner.
- Piroctone Olamine & Climbazole
- Rosemary Oil
- Ginger Extract
- Salicylic Acid
- Leaves you feeling refreshed
- Helps reduce dryness and flakiness
- Does not irritate the skin
- Bottle is a little too small
Why is shampoo important for men with bald heads?
Though being bald means there’s relatively lower maintenance for your noggin, it’s important that you don’t give up on shampooing your head as the right shampoo that’s designed for bald men will help keep your scalp looking fresh and clean and get rid of dandruff or flaky skin.
- Shampooing your head will eliminate any dirt or dust particles that are stuck on it and will reduce the sebum production as well. Normally hair helps keep oil and dirt at bay, but men who shave away their locks are prone to excess build up that’s not good for the skin.
- Bald heads are also prone to dandruff buildup and dryness, so it’s essential that you use the right shampoo to treat your scalp and make it flake free.
- Though many people have claimed that using soaps or body wash on the head works, in reality it doesn’t and these products can do more harm than good. Soaps and body washes are formulated keeping the body in mind and are not meant to be used on the scalp where the skin is sensitive and can easily get damaged.
Should you use shampoo on a bald head?
Yes, as long as you choose the right shampoo. Shampoos that are designed for bald men help keep the scalp hydrated and maintains the pH as well as the oil balance.
Should you use coconut oil on your head?
Since coconut oil is a natural ingredient that’s known to moisturize and keep the scalp nourished, it’s a good idea to use it on your bald head. Much like Aloe Vera, coconut oil will keep your scalp healthy, but it should be used in moderate amounts as excess coconut oil can clog your pores.
Darnell Jackson is a grooming enthusiast. He was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, and has always been passionate about men’s fashion and grooming. Darbell started his career as a freelance writer, contributing to various men’s lifestyle magazines and blogs. He has since become a published author, with his book “The Art of Man Grooming” receiving critical acclaim.