Men with long hair are susceptible to split ends, dirt collecting on your scalp and even excessive oil production.
In order to tame your mane you will need to give it the best treatment possible and this can only be achieved by using a good quality shampoo.
While many shampoos available out there can get the job done, only a handful of them can help you maintain your long hair.
So, which is the best shampoo for men with long hair?
The best shampoo for men with long hair in 2022 is Tame the Beast Tingle Shampoo. This product is designed to leave your hair feeling soft, moisturized and clean. It helps eliminate excess oil and dirt with ease and can even help untangle your hair.
Over the course of this article, we’re going to take a look at some of the best shampoo for men with long hair and we’ll even help you understand how to choose the most appropriate one for your hair type.
On that note, here are the top 10 best shampoo for men with long hair that you can buy today.
- Tame the Beast – Tingle Shampoo
- Krieger + Sohne Shampoo for Men
- KICK – Active
- Baxter of California – Daily Fortifying Shampoo
- Blackwood for Men – Hydroblast
- Every Man Jack 2-in-1 Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner
- Pura D’Or Original Gold Label Biotin Shampoo
- Botanic Hearth Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner
- Jack Black – Double Header
- Brickell – Daily Strengthening Shampoo
Recommended Read: Best Hair Growth Products for Men
How to choose the right shampoo if you’re a man with long hair?
It’s good to note that shampoos are specifically designed and formulated depending on the type of hair you have and the length of the hair. We wouldn’t recommend using a shampoo that treats dandruff if you do not have dandruff.
That being said, we took certain things into consideration before drawing out this list. Let’s go through how you can choose the right shampoo for your long hair.
- Ingredients – The first and most important factor to take into consideration is what are the ingredients in the shampoo. I would recommend you buy only products that have been made from natural ingredients such as shea butter, argan oil, jojoba, coconut oil or tea tree oil. These ingredients have natural healing properties that are good for hair growth and will help in maintaining your long hair.
- No Artificial Additives – When choosing a good shampoo for your hair, make sure that it does not contain any artificial ingredients or harmful chemicals. Stuff like parabens, sulfates or phthalates can cause severe damage to not only your hair but even your scalp.
- Budget – Not all shampoos are priced the same and while there are some available at under $5.00 (which are not always that effective), there are some which may seem a bit expensive, but that’s the case with anything good and effective. Ensure you have a set budget for your hair products and some like the Jack Black double header or the Every Man Jack 2-in-1 are good options to choose from because they act as a shampoo and conditioner and you’re getting two products for the price of one.
How we tested the best shampoo for long hair?
Not all shampoos are designed the same and we had to test the shampoos out differently. Some come with hydrating benefits whereas others would be more focused on boosting hair volume.
We looked at how well these shampoos lathered and at how well the cleaned our hair. Another thing we tested the shampoos for is their ability to detangle long hair and if they promoted hair growth.
We then rated the products on a scale of 5 for their level of effectiveness. Check them out!
Best Shampoo for Men with Long Hair – Overview
|Tame the Beast – Tingle Shampoo
|Overall Best for Long Hair
|Krieger + Sohne Shampoo for Men
|Best for Oily Long Hair
|KICK – Active
|Baxter of California – Daily Fortifying Shampoo
|Best for Product Residue Removal
|Blackwood for Men – Hydroblast
|Best for Dry Hair and Split Ends
|Every Man Jack 2-in-1 Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner
|Best for Fine and Thinning Long Hair
|Pura D’Or Original Gold Label Biotin Shampoo
|Best for Hair Growth
|Botanic Hearth Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner
|Best for Hair Loss
|Jack Black – Double Header
|Best Shampoo cum Conditioner
|Brickell – Daily Strengthening Shampoo
|Best as a Volume Booster
Table of Contents
Top 10 Best Shampoo for Men with Long Hair
Tame the Beast – Tingle Shampoo
The Tingle Shampoo from Tame the Beast is an all-natural shampoo that has been formulated to provide a tingling sensation to your scalp and keep your hair feeling refreshed and frizz-free.
This shampoo is perfect for men with long hair and is definitely the best shampoo for men with long hair that’s available in the market today.
It is designed to keep your hair feeling soft and clean with no residue left behind on your scalp. It also helps remove dirt, excess oil and grime from your scalp without damaging your long locks.
An added benefit of this product is that you wouldn’t require a lot of shampoo to wash your hair.
This shampoo is also a body easy that comes with Eucalyptus oil, caffeine, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, Vitamins A,B,C and E, Lavender and Menthol. These ingredients help maintain your hair and will leave it feeling silky smooth without any frizz or split ends.
What we truly loved about the Tingle shampoo is that this product does not contain any harmful ingredients such as parabens, sulfates or synthetic and artificial ingredients. It’s safe to use on any hair type out there and smells great.
- Made from all natural ingredients
- Keeps the scalp feeling refreshed and moisturized
- Provides a thick lather
- Comes with a slightly overpowering scent
Rating – 5/5
Krieger + Sohne Shampoo for Men
I found the Krieger + Sohne Shampoo for Men a few months ago and it has been a life changer. This shampoo uses natural ingredients and has been formulated specifically for men with long hair.
Tea tree oil is used to helps stimulate your scalp and ensures that your hair does not get damaged.
This shampoo also fights dirt build up, oil and any foreign substances that would have accumulated on your scalp and is capable of leaving you feeling refreshed without stripping your hair of its moisture.
I loved how this shampoo has antibacterial and antifungal properties that can eliminate dandruff build up and keep your scalp moisturized.
The Krieger + Sohne Shampoo for Men has been formulated using tea tree oil and peppermint oil, both which prevent hair loss and are known to promote shinier hair.
It’s an affordable choice for men with long hair and is definitely something you should consider trying today. Trust me, you won’t regret it.
- Has anti fungal and anti bacteria properties
- Safe to use on dry and oily scalp
- Designed to keep your hair feeling fresh and moisturized
Rating – 5/5
KICK – Active
If you’re like me and have weak/brittle hair then the KICK – Active shampoo for men will do wonders for you.
The effects of the shampoo is long lasting and because it’s formulated with ingredients that are known to help strengthen hair, I noticed a drastic change in the quality and texture of my hair post using the shampoo.
It’s truly a fantastic product and if you really love your long mane then you’ll definitely enjoy the way this shampoo can promote hair growth and keep your hair moisturized right down to the roots.
Now, i’m no fan of using products that contain harmful chemicals and one of the reasons why KICK – Active is my go-to shampoo is because it’s made entirely from healthy and natural ingredients like Rosemary, Lavender, Peppermint and Eucalyptus to name a few.
- Helps deep clean your hair
- Doesn’t contain any chemicals, sulfates or parabens
- Moisturizes the hair from root to the tip
- Doesn’t lather easily
Rating – 4.5/5
Baxter of California – Daily Fortifying Shampoo
Another pretty effective shampoo I happened to come across is the Baxter of California – Daily Fortifying shampoo. This product worked wonders on my hair and the wheat protein, coconut extract along with the Vitamin E help boost your hair volume while improving blood circulation to the hair follicles.
I enjoyed the after scent and was amazed at how soft this shampoo leaves your hair. It’s certainly a must buy for men with long hair as it smells great, leaves you feeling great and has some moisturizing benefits.
While using the Baxter of California, I found out that you have to use a dime sized portion of the shampoo every was. Using more will result in a lot of lather and will take time to wash off everything from your hair.
The shampoo is free from chemicals and does not contain any parabens, sulfates or artificial fragrances. Even men with sensitive skin can use this shampoo to soften and manage their long hair.
- Formulated to provide you with a cool and refreshed feeling
- Provides a thick lather
- Does a good job of reducing flaky scalp and dryness
- Not easily available online
Rating – 4.5/5
Blackwood for Men – Hydroblast
Blackwood for Men Hydroblast moisturizing shampoo is one of the best selling products on Amazon that helps restore moisture, repair split ends, soften and exfoliate your scalp and hair.
It’s a cleanser that combats dryness and split ends with the help of natural ingredients and Coconut oil being the primary ingredient used in the formulation.
This product has numerous benefits and provides a thick lather that can easily remove any dirt or grime from your hair and prevent it from building up again. It has a nice masculine scent to it and this is something we really liked about the shampoo.
As compared to other shampoo products on this list, the Blackwood for Men – Hydroblast comes formulated with shea butter and honey that soften your hair and prevent your scalp from any inflammation.
It’s made from natural ingredients and comes free from parabens, sulfates, soy, GMO’s and is Gluten free, definitely a must have for men with long hair.
- Designed to hydrate your hair and retain moisture
- Contains some of the best natural ingredients
- Provides a thick lather from a small portion
- Slightly expensive
Rating – 4.5/5
Every Man Jack 2-in-1 Thickening Shampoo and Conditioner
To be honest, there are not many products out there that combine a shampoo and conditioner in a single bottle, and Every Man Jack has been able to deliver just that.
The 2-in-1 thickening shampoo and conditioner has been designed to deep clean your scalp and hair without stripping your hair of its moisture.
There are no synthetic or artificial ingredients used in this product and it is rich in coconut oil, shea butter and soy protein to promote thicker hair growth without any oil or dirt buildup on your hair or scalp.
It is not meant to be used on a daily basis as it can tend to get a little harsh on your head but if you do use it sparingly, you are guaranteed cleaner and smoother hair in a couple of days.
This shampoo and conditioner combo can strengthen your hair follicles and leave you feeling moisturized throughout the day.
We recommend using this shampoo only if you feel the need to and is not meant to be used by men with weak or thin hair as it could possibly damage your hair.
However, it’s all natural and since it does not contain any artificial ingredients or harmful chemicals, it’s safe to use on sensitive skin.
- Designed to clean and condition the hair
- Provides your hair with the best natural treatment
- Can strengthen your hair follicles
- Not meant for everyday use
Rating – 4/5
Pura D’Or Original Gold Label Biotin Shampoo
Here’s the first Biotin infused shampoo on this list, the Pura D’Or shampoo is an all-natural shampoo that uses herbal ingredients to reduce hair thinning and promote thick hair growth.
It does not leave behind any residue and comes packed with essential vitamins and oils that keep your scalp hydrated and moisturized.
This shampoo has been formulated with Nettle extract, pumpkin seed, black cumin seed oil, aloe vera, argan oil and red seaweed.
It does not contain any sulfates or artificial ingredients and can be used by both men and women with long hair.
The Pura D’Or shampoo is designed to deep cleanse the scalp thus improving the overall health and growth of your hair. We found it to be easy to use and you wouldn’t need more than a dime sized portion to use on your whole head.
It lathers rather easily and because of the thick lather this shampoo can cut down oil buildup and dirt on your scalp effortlessly.
- All natural formulation
- Does not include sulfates or parabens
- Lathers well
- Designed to promote hair growth
- Gets over a little faster than the others on the list
Rating – 4/5
Botanic Hearth Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner
Another brilliant product to use if you have long hair is the Biotin shampoo and conditioner set from Botanic Hearth. This product is one of the best combos available and has been formulated with Ginger Oil and Keratin that help combat hair loss by keeping your hair and scalp hydrated and refreshed.
It is safe to use on a daily basis and has been designed to be used by those with color treated hair. The Botanic Hearth shampoo promotes long thick hair and if you’re looking for the best results, it’s ideal to use the shampoo after every wash.
Before using this shampoo, it’s highly recommended that you first conduct a skin test to see if you’re allergic to any of the ingredients in the formula.
The Biotin shampoo and conditioner are free from parabens, sulfates and have been made to target men with long hair who are dealing with excess hair loss.
The shampoo gives off an after shower scent of ginger and that might not sit well with everyone, so first make sure you’re aware about the ingredients and application process.
You will enjoy using this shampoo and conditioner and will notice a drastic improvement in the overall health of your hair.
- Packed with Biotin, ideal for long hair growth
- Designed to deal with hair loss
- Set includes shampoo and Biotin conditioner
- Keep your hair feeling soft and fresh
- Scent of ginger is a little irritating
Rating – 4.5/5
Jack Black – Double Header
We have covered the brand Jack Black in our earlier article pertaining to beard care, but did you also know that they have a range of products that have been specifically designed for long hair?
Their double header is a fine product to use on your hair that uses coconut oil and kelp extract to remove oil and dirt from your scalp and hair.
This product is a shampoo and conditioner which can exfoliate and moisturize your hair, thus leaving your head feeling fresh and cool.
It’s a multitasking formula that uses white lupine protein and basil to improve the overall condition and appearance of your hair.
We loved that this product works well on coarse and thick hair and for the fact that it does not contain any harmful chemicals or sulfates that can cause damage to your scalp.
However, we found that it does have a rather strong scent and while it smells good, there’s a chance it may be a bit overpowering.
- Will clean, condition and nourish your hair
- Made with natural ingredients
- No parabens, sulfates or chemicals
- Detangles the hair with minimal effort
- Scent is strong and may be a bit overbearing
Rating – 4.5/5
Brickell – Daily Strengthening Shampoo
Brickell is a brand that’s been on my list as one of the best when it comes to men’s grooming products. Their top selling shampoo, which i’ve used a number of times is the Daily Strengthening shampoo and it is quite impressive to say the least.
It’s designed to clean, strengthen and thicken hair and the shampoo has been formulated with natural and organic ingredients which make it completely safe to use even if you have sensitive skin.
The shampoo smells awesome and it’s one of the few good shampoos out there that is capable of hydrating individual strands of hair. I did notice a boost in the volume of my hair post using this shampoo and it got rid of the dryness I was dealing with, so i’m giving it a 4.5 out of 5 for the results I experienced from using the Brickell shampoo.
- Pleasant scent that’s not overpowering
- Made with natural and organic ingredients
- No parabens, sulfates or chemicals
- Strengthens, hydrates and boosts hair volume
- Leaves behind some residue, but it can be washed away easily.
Rating – 4.5/5
Tips for washing long hair
Washing your hair when it’s short is not such a big deal and doesn’t require much care and attention. However, when your hair grows out, you need to take good care of your hair otherwise it can be a real pain to manage.
- Wash your hair in the evening – this helps lighten the morning load and you can spend more time drying your hair in the evening when you’re free and have time to spare.
- Don’t wash your hair everyday – It’s recommended that you stick to washing your hair once in two days. This helps maintain a healthy oil balance and will help your hair grow out well.
- Rinse your hair with warm water – Rinsing your hair with warm water will allow the excess oil, dirt and other build up to be easily removed. It also softens your hair follicles and allows the shampoo to work at the root level.
- Root to tips – While washing your hair make sure you wash it from the root to the tips. This is done because shampoos can dry your hair and if you want it to be moisturized and healthy refrain from shampooing the tips of your hair often.
- Dry your hair gently – Drying your hair with a towel can cause some serious damage to your hair and will result in hair fall and knots. Use a microfiber towel on your hair and make sure you go slowly and not apply too much pressure.
Should men with long hair use shampoo?
If you want your hair to be moisturized, soft and stay healthy you have to shampoo your hair once in two days. However, make sure you use a shampoo that does not contain harmful chemicals as they can damage your hair.
Should men use conditioner on long hair?
In short, yes. Men should use conditioner on their hair especially if they plan on growing it out and wouldn’t like their hair to get al frizzy and knotted.
Can I shampoo my long hair everyday?
Some people would have to shampoo their hair on a daily basis and this would be only a small group of people who have thin hair. If you have long, thick hair then it’s best to shampoo it once in two to three days and not more than that.
- Best Hair Growth Products for Men
- Best Hair Moisturizers for Black Men
- Best Natural Shampoo for 360 Waves
Darnell Jackson is a grooming enthusiast. He was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, and has always been passionate about men’s fashion and grooming. Darbell started his career as a freelance writer, contributing to various men’s lifestyle magazines and blogs. He has since become a published author, with his book “The Art of Man Grooming” receiving critical acclaim.