The best shape up clippers are those that let you create any hairstyle possible within a few minutes. So, if you’re looking to buy a pair of shape up clippers, you’ve come to the right place.
Shape up clippers are similar to line up trimmers as they allow you to easily create any hairstyle you want from the confines of your own home and you wouldn’t have to worry about spending a bomb at the barbers salon to do the same thing.
This guide will help you decide on which shape up clippers to buy and we’ll also cover how you can pick the right pair for your personal needs.
These clippers are versatile and normally come with additional attachments that let you trim your nose hair and ear hair. For those looking to self groom at home, these clippers are the ones for you.
|Model Name||Features||Best For|
|Andis 32400 Slimline Pro||Self sharpening blades;|
Travel friendly build
|Best in its class|
|Andis Professional Finishing Combo||T-blade & foil blades;|
Long lasting battery;
Wired and wireless design
|Ideal for quick shape ups|
|Wahl 5-Star Detailer||Titanium self sharpening blade;|
Comes with three trimming guides, blade oil and a cleaning brush
|Philips Norelco MG7750/49||Heavy duty blades;|
Versatile and can be used all over;
Long battery life
|Great value for money|
|Oster Fast Feed Pivot Motor Clipper||Equipped with a powerful whisper quiet motor;|
Uses adjustable Cryogen-X blades;
Long 8-foot power cord
|Reliable build and performance|
|Wahl Clipper Cordless Combo Kit||Complete kit with 10 attachments;|
Self sharpening blades;
Fast charging batteries;
30-day money back
|Andis 04710 T-Outliner||Pivot moor and carbon steel t-blade;|
Equipped with a long 8-foot cord;
Comfortable to use
|Ergonomic build and super comfortable|
|Hatteker Cordless Hair Trimmer||Whisper quiet motor;|
Offers a straightforward trim;
Titanium self sharpening blade;
Waterproof with LCD display
|For wet and dry shaving/trimming|
Recommended Read: Best Wahl Clippers
Table of Contents
8 of The Best Shape Up Clippers for Men
Andis 32400 Slimline Pro
The Slimline Pro is my personal favorite pair of clippers when it comes to creating shape ups. I found it to be super sleek and lightweight so trimming and shaping my side lines became a piece of cake.
The battery of the Slimline Pro is long lasting and a single charge lasted me about 10 – 15 shaves. Though the Slimline Pro delivers mad speed, the blades are really sharp and if you’re not careful you can actually end up cutting yourself.
Trust me, it’s a great choice for those who are looking for something compact, wireless and super efficient when it comes to trimming hair.
- Efficient and can trim hair rather quickly
- Offers an impressive battery life
- Lightweight at 4.8oz
- Design is pretty sleek and it’s comfortable to hold
- Blades are a little too sharp and can cut you if you’re not careful
Andis Professional Finishing Combo
The Andis Professional Finishing Combo is an all in one set that includes the T-Outliner trimmer and the Cordless 17195 shaver bundled together with a nice quality KEPSE neck duster. This kit allows you to easily shave, trim and create fades on your facial hair and head.
The primary clipper uses a magnetic high-speed motor that is combined with a close cutting T blade that’s been made from carbon-steel allowing you to create a detailed style like no other.
It is designed for optimal grip and is comfortable to use especially if you’re styling your own hair. The trimmer delivers 7200 strokes per minute which is ideal for thick and coarse hair and has been built to be used on dry hair rather than damp.
The shaver on the other hand is cordless and can deliver around 60 minutes worth of run time from a single charge which is almost twice the battery life of normal shavers. It’s equipped with a rotary motor that’s silent and is lightweight so you can trim, style and shave comfortably.
- Well built set and can be used cordless and with a cord
- Hypoallergenic foil blades
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Super powerful built-in motor
- Does not come with a storage case
- Not waterproof and can not be rinsed under running water
Wahl 5-Star Detailer
The 5-star detailer is truly a magnificent device with capabilities of a full fledged pair of clippers in a compact and ergonomic build.
I’ve used the detailer a number of times and while it’s not as powerful as the Outliner, it helps produce shape ups with ease and the end results are always fantastic.
The machine is a champ when it comes to tackling thick and wavy hair and an advantage of picking up this trimmer over others is the range of accessories that come in the packaging.
- Equipped with a rotary blade that keeps the trimmer cool
- Designed to deliver strong performance
- Stylish and functional build
- Accessories are an added convenience
- Can irritate the skin
- Have to be careful with the T-blade as it can pinch the skin
Philips Norelco MG7750/49
The Philips Norelco MG7750/49 is clearly one of the best shape up trimmers /clippers we have had the chance to review. It is packed with everything you need and is equipped with a rather powerful motor that can cut through thick hair with ease.
It has been designed ergonomically and can be left standing up-right, thanks to the flat base. This multigroom device can be used on your hair and body with ease and works well even on beards. What’s great about this device is that it comes with removable attachments that you can use if you plan of trimming your nose hair or ear hair.
While checking the longevity of the battery, the Series 7000 clipper ran for around 4-5 hours continuously. We even noticed that the blades are made of stainless steel and are self-sharpening, so you wouldn’t have to worry about oiling it frequently.
The body of the Norelco is made from heavy-duty stainless steel that makes it slightly heavy to hold. While it might not be the lightest choice on this list, it surely gets the job done and should be one pair of shape up clippers you should consider buying today.
- Good value for money
- Can be used wired or wireless
- Versatile design
- Ideal for DIY grooming
- Too many attachments
Oster Fast Feed Pivot Motor Clipper
The Oster Fast Feed Pivot Motor Clipper is one of the most popular products on this list. You would have probably seen it being used at your local barber shop and is one of the most reliable clippers you could ever buy.
The Fast Feed runs on a whisper quiet pivot motor that is attached to adjustable Cryogen-x blade stainless steel blades to offer a clean-cut hairstyle.
It can be adjusted from between 000 to 1 and comes with 4 comb guide attachments and a blade guard apart from a small collection of accessories.
It has been designed to work silently and make sure your productivity levels are up.
The clipper runs on an 8-foot long power cord so you wouldn’t have to worry about running out of charge in the middle of the haircut and features an ergonomic build so you find it comfortable while giving yourself a haircut.
- Silent and powerful motor
- Easy to use
- Sharp blades and delivers quick performance
- Cord is pretty long
- Guide combs are fragile
- Can tend to get hot after prolonged use
Wahl Clipper Cordless Combo Kit
Finally we get to one of the best brands on the market, Wahl has been developing some futuristic clippers and trimmers for men and their all body cordless combo is an easy-to-use and rather functional product in the market.
Both the clipper and trimmer in this set are cordless and can deliver up to 2 hours worth of run time from a single charge. They have been equipped with fast charging Li-ion batteries that take roughly 3-4 hours to recharge to full capacity.
This kit comes with a clipper and trimmer along with 10 different cutting attachment guards and an ear taper guard.
The blades used are self-sharpening so you wouldn’t have to worry about oiling them regularly to keep them sharp and they deliver a snag-free cutting experience, something other blades out there lack.
Wahl has even provided buyers with a 30 day money back guarantee if the product is not up to the mark and you are clearly not satisfied with the results.
- Robust kit with necessary inclusions
- There’s a carry pouch
- Ideal for all hair types
- Noticeable drop in performance as the battery depletes
Andis 04710 T-Outliner
The Andis 04710 T-Outliner is an affordable device that comes equipped with a powerful pivot motor that allows you to create any hairstyle you like. It features a robust design and comes attached with an 8-foot long cord that lets you move around freely.
The silent motor running on the T-Outliner is nearly 4 times more powerful than other shape up clippers on the market and thanks to the high-performance close-cutting carbon steel T-blade, you can rest assured that no matter how coarse your hair is, this outliner will cut through with ease.
In terms of comfort and grip, the Andis T-Outliner is slightly curved allowing you to hold the device comfortably and we noticed that even if your hands are slightly damp you wouldn’t lose your grip on the device.
This shape up clipper is one of the best affordable options available today and we loved the fact that it’s easy to use and quite durable.
- Delivers close cut shaves with precision
- Ideal for dry trimming
- Sharp, high quality blades
- Safe for sensitive skin
- Can get hot rather fast
- Switch is quit uncomfortable to use
Hatteker Cordless Hair Trimmer
The Hatteker trimmer is a convenient trimmer that comes with a charging dock and offers a straightforward trimming experience to those looking for a clean shape up.
It’s powered by a whisper quiet motor that despite how quiet it is, is actually extremely powerful.
On the other end, the blades used are ceramic titanium that self-sharpens as you use them. You wouldn’t have to worry about nicks and cuts on your skin with this shape up clipper because it offers a close shave and trim allowing you to create any style you want.
Another reason to consider buying this trimmer is that it comes equipped with a LCD display on the front of the handle that shows you the current battery life and the speed the device is running at.
There are three attachments you can choose from including a beard trimmer, detail tripper and a hair clipper allowing you to take on any hair styling situation. The Hatteker cordless hair trimmer is surely one of the best shape up clippers in the market and something you should consider buying if you’re someone on a tight budget.
- Battery life is pretty amazing
- Blades are titanium and lasts long
- Feels cheap and lacks the premium build.
What to consider when buying the best shape up clippers?
In order for the shape up clippers to be considered the best they must be functional and deliver close cuts. There are certain criteria to keep in mind when picking a shape up clipper and i’ll take you through what needs to be considered before buying a pair for yourself.
- Quality – First thing to consider when buying a pair of shape up clippers is the overall quality of the product and the brand. You need to first gauge whether the brand is reliable and if the product has been made from high-quality materials. What we noticed is that the better the quality, the more expensive the clippers will be. So keep that in mind when shopping for one.
- Powerful Motor – Another thing to consider is the power and efficiency of the motor. You need to find one that delivers consistent power no matter what level you choose. Shape up clippers come with either a pivot motor or a magnetic motor and each one delivers a different level of efficiency.
- Design – The design of the clippers are important because this factor gauges whether they would be comfortable to hold for a long time or if it may slip from your hands. For those who do not have immediate access to a physical store where you can hold the clipper before buying, I would suggest that you check out the buyers reviews online and see what they felt when using the clippers.
How to Create a Line Up or Shape Up Haircut?
Creating shape ups is very easy and the best way to learn how it’s done is by watching your barber do it. You will have to pay attention to the way they position the blade and from where to where they run the line.
Once you’re confident that you can create your own, try it out yourself and see if you’re as good as your local barber or hair stylist.
- Step 1 – Look at the mirror and position the edge of the clippers against your hairline at the front. Gently run it along the current hairline to reestablish its shape and prominence.
- Step 2 – Now hold a small handheld mirror toward the side of your head and position it so that you can view the back of your head in the larger mirror.
- Step 3 – Slowly trim across the back hairline by looking at your reflection in the mirror.
- Step 4 – As you move near the ears, fold one down and then trim the hairline from the side. Do this on both sides until you achieve the desired shape.
- Step 5 – Finally, apply a small amount of after shave or rubbing alcohol along the hairline and dab it with a paper towel or soft cloth
Why is my shape up clipper snagging at my hair?
The blades of clippers tend to get caught in your hair and pull when they haven’t been oiled in a while. Either maintain the blades by regularly oiling them or you can similarly opt for a pair of clippers that do come equipped with self-sharpening blades.
What’s the best material blade for shape up clippers?
We found that the most effective and safe material is stainless-steel. These blades perform well, are safe to use and can last for a number of years before having to replace them.
How often must you maintain your clippers?
Clippers are meant to be cleaned after every use and if you are planning to use it after a few months, it’s best to maintain them on a daily basis. Cleaning the blades, oiling them and making sure the battery is fully charged are a few ways you can maintain your clippers on a daily basis.
Darnell Jackson is a grooming enthusiast. He was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, and has always been passionate about men’s fashion and grooming. Darbell started his career as a freelance writer, contributing to various men’s lifestyle magazines and blogs. He has since become a published author, with his book “The Art of Man Grooming” receiving critical acclaim.